- Think that vitamin-enriched waters are the healthy choice? Think again. An article from the New York Times explains why you should stay away from vitamin-enriched waters. Note the point that those who are consuming enriched products (and vitamin/mineral supplements) are often those people who need them the least!
- Organic food reduces pesticides…..seems obvious but what is the actual impact in practical terms? A new study aims to predict pesticide exposure based on diet AND to link the exposure to certain food products.
- The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (i.e. Obama Care) is requiring chain restaurants to place calorie information on their menu boards. A promising idea but we need to make sure that people understand the context and use the information and correctly.
- The US has approved a new drug specifically designed for those with Binge Eating Disorder. They really are on a role lately given the approval of three new obesity drugs in the last couple of years.
- Sugar and salt in prepared foods are still a concern – including for infants and toddlers. The CDC found that commercial baby foods contain high levels of sugar and salt. Hardly seems fair to start the little ones off on the wrong foot.