- Athletes can follow a vegetarian diet and maximize athletic performance; however, they do need to monitor their intakes and consciously make healthy decisions. Of course, the same can be said for all athletes.
- All you ever wanted to know about fructooligosaccharides! Why should you care? These are the newest popular fibre supplement and they are in all of the low-calorie, high-fibre bars, cereals, and yogurts on the market. Look for prebiotic fibres, inulin or chicory root in the ingredient list.
- To snack or not to snack? again… More information on the role of snacking on satiety and body weight.
- More foods added to the list of risk factors for colorectal cancer. High fat and high sugar foods now linked with increased risk of developing colorectal cancer, so limit your consumption of high energy snacks and sugar-sweetened drinks to reduce your risk.
- Dietary supplements, even those that claim to be all natural, can be harmful. Please keep in mind that at present it really is buyer beware with these products. Case in point, the manufacturer of Jack3D and OxyElite has “voluntarily” pulled these products off the market under pressure from the FDA.
- Looking to cut your fat intake? Add some spices and herbs to make it less noticeable! When high-fat and reduced-fat meals with added spices and herbs were compared in a randomized blinded trial, tasters rated them the same on taste. Adding herbs and spices to flavor food is a great strategy to cut sodium too.