The snow may be melting, but there is still a significant chill in the air! This week is our second attempt at remaking classic, creamy comfort foods with a white bean sauce in lieu of butter-flour-and-milk white sauce.
Probably our most ambitious remake yet, here is a delicious and creamy mac and cheese with a cheesy nut topping. Adding sliced tomatoes is our healthier homage to ketchup!
Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- 3 cups whole wheat macaroni (or similar pasta)
- 1 batch white bean sauce, pureed (with garlic clove added)
- 2 cups grated cheese
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup grated cheese
- ½ cup parsley, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Combine ½ cup grated cheese, parsley, almonds and paprika in food processor; pulse until coarsely ground. Season as needed with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Cook pasta per package directions to al dente. Drain and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, prepare sauce over low heat. To prepared white bean sauce, add grated cheese, Dijon, Worcestershire and paprika; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Stir cooked pasta into cheese sauce and pour into an oven-safe casserole dish.
- Top with sliced tomatoes and cheese-almond mixture.
- Bake for 30 minutes until sauce is bubbly and topping is golden and crisped. Cover with foil if topping browns too quickly. Allow to cool for 5 – 10 minutes before serving.