Radish and nectarines together? Yes, it sounds bizarre but trust us on this one! The non-traditional salsa is crunchy, sweet and spicy all at once. It is also a great way to use up the abundance of easy-to-grow radishes in your garden! Wrapped up in lettuce cups with shrimp, feta and pumpkin seeds, you have simple and summery finger food. You can easily substitute shredded chicken for the shrimp or serve the lettuce and salsa as a part of a main course salad.
This is another installment in our weekly series of summer favourites – healthy, tasty and just a little bit unique. The recipes are either no-cook or use the BBQ instead of the oven, which keeps the house cool too!
- 1 cup radishes, thinly sliced (we like using a mandoline)
- 2 cups diced jicama
- 1 cup diced nectarine
- 1/3 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely sliced green onion
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- zest of one lime
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1.5 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 350 g (3/4 lbs) cooked shrimp, sliced in half lengthwise
- butter lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- crumbled feta cheese
- toasted pumpkin seeds
- Combine all salsa ingredients in a medium bowl and allow to sit for 10 – 20 minutes.
- Arrange lettuce leaves on a platter and spoon 1/3 cup salsa mixture in the middle of each leaf; top with shrimp, crumbled feta and toasted pumpkin seeds.
- Serve and devour!