Don’t get us wrong – we love hummus, especially homemade hummus with lots of garlic and lemon juice. But sometimes the veggie tray yearns for more. Muhammara is an easy-to-whip-up Middle Eastern dip that isn’t hummus! Made with roasted red pepper and toasted walnuts, great add-ins include pureed white beans or feta cheese.
Here is a weekly series of our current summer favourites – healthy, tasty and just a little bit unique. The recipes are either no-cook or use the BBQ instead of the oven, which keeps the house cool too!
Muhammara. Serve with toasted pita chips and raw veggies like celery, yellow pepper, carrots and our personal favourite, sliced raw fennel.
- 3-4 red bell peppers, roasted and peeled*
- 1.25 cups walnuts, toasted (the toasting is non-negotiable for best flavour!)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp pomegranate molasses**
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp cayenne
- 1-2 tsp hot sauce (we kick it old-school with original Frank’s Red Hot)
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs, like panko (for a GF option, we like the Glutino corn-based breadcrumbs)
- salt and pepper to taste
Combine ingredients in a food processor and blend until consistency is a coarse puree. Season with salt and pepper. Serve!
*For a quick and easy cheat, simpy drain a 340 g (12 oz) jar of roasted red peppers in place of roasting and peeling at home.
**You can find pomegranate molasses at Middle Eastern and Italian markets. It has an amazing tart flavour. If you cannot find it, substitute 2 tsp honey + 4 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice.