- Weight maintenance is a worthwhile strategy too! Highlighting the beneficial impact of simply STOPPING weight gain, cost savings are estimated at 550 billion dollars over the next two decades if obesity rates remain stable.
- Time to get back in touch with what your body tells you. There may never seem to be enough hours in the day, but ignoring your body’s biological “timekeeper” with late nights, early mornings and chronic over-tiredness can wreak havoc on your weight.
- Sugar is sugar is sugar, whatever package it may come in! A comparison of some of the most popular natural sweeteners on the market. Take home message – moderation.
- Leslie Beck provides a great review of what to look for in probiotic supplements.
- More “blame your mother” fetal programming research – higher pre-pregnancy body weight may be linked with lower cognitive function in children, in addition to increased risk of obesity and chronic disease later in life.
- Good news for those with type 2 diabetes – a reduction in BMI of 5 units can be enough to effectively prevent or even “cure” diabetes in those who are obese, regardless of baseline weight or BMI achieved. It’s not just about fitting into the 18.5 – 24.9 range!
- Intuitive eating – the “anti-diet” philosophy. A nice review of the principles behind this non-diet by Calgary’s own FitNut Consulting.