- Happy Easter! Cadbury Cream Egg cartoon used to describe the mindset of soda consumers.
- The Globe and Mail reports on the top 5 unhealthy habits that are affecting life expectancy in Ontarians. No surprise that excess alcohol, poor diet and sedentary behaviour are among the top 5. This is all based on a report from the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Sciences and Public Health Ontario but I’m sure the situation is similar world wide. You can also do some number crunching for yourself.
- Obesity is the new smoking: obesity now more costly to health care system than smoking based on study published in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine.
- We ranted and raved about unhealthy foods masquerading as healthy last week. We want to thank Darya Pino from Summer Tomato for putting a positive spin on everything and posting her Top 10 Most Underrated Health Foods – these ones are actually healthy.
- Coffee in the news……again. This time green coffee beans and weight loss. We look forward to reading a peer-reviewed manuscript in addition to the presentation reported on here from the National Meeting & Exposition of the American Chemical Society. Read the report CAREFULLY. The participants still had to eat a low-fat, healthful diet and exercise regularly! Also the study design requires close scrutiny and the sample size is small, so don’t get too excited. Take home message: healthy, sustainable weight-loss will always require a healthy diet and physical activity.
- Uninterrupted sitting – doesn’t take much to negatively impact your health. Great post via Obesity Panacea on the dangers of sedentary behaviour. Be a breaker, not a prolonger!
- Old news, new media reports: Low glycemic index breakfast and better blood sugar management throughout the day: based on RCT study of almond-containing breakfasts (paid for by Almond Board of California), but sound advice. So, put on the steel cut oats! We like to batch cook our steel cut oats (with some cinnamon) twice per week and just reheat in the morning with some berries and nuts.